INTRODUCTION TO BAKING ARTS TECHNIQUES AND INGREDIENTS PART 1
The program begins with in-depth education on the ingredients, techniques and procedures that the students will use throughout the program, including:
- Identification and discussion of the essential ingredient groups such as sugar, dairy and fruit.
- Weights and measures, food safety, knife safety, sanitation, and equipment use and identification.
- Introduction to basic decorating skills, the use of a pastry bag and making and utilizing cornets.
- Introduction to hydrocolloids, including pectin and gelatin, for making items such as panna cotta.
- Techniques for preparing fruit-based desserts, including paring, poaching, roasting, macerating, drying and candying.
- The theory and practice of sugar cookery, including the preparation of fudge, torrone, nougatine lollipops and brittle.