Immerse yourself in the wondrous world of vegan desserts during this exciting four-day workshop. The in-depth course offers hands-on experience with the ingredients, tools and techniques needed to confidently prepare outstanding desserts free of dairy, eggs, refined sweeteners or margarine. Under the guidance of the Natural Gourmet Center’s expert pastry chefs, you will learn how to transform wholesome plant-based ingredients into chewy cookies and bars, perfect pies, truffles, layer cakes, ice creams and more. Plus, you’ll turn your delicious desserts into art with daily plating practice. Register here.
Day 1 – Cookies, Bars and Baklava
You’ll begin with a thorough foundation of your new pantry staples: whole-grain flours, plant-based fats and milks, natural sweeteners, fruits and nuts. From there, we’ll explore the science behind perfectly leavened baked goods as well as how to create and use homemade egg substitutes. We’ll put all that information into action as we grind almond flour, work with phyllo, and roll and shape dough to create high-quality, delicious vegan cookies.
- Rolled fig cookies.
- Sesame anise biscotti.
- Rich brownies.
- Oatmeal-raisin cookies.
- Chewy pistachio cookies with saffron and rose water.
- Honey-free baklava.
- Chocolate-orange biscotti.
- Apricot jam dot cookies.
- Cherry jam dot cookies.
- Peanut butter-chocolate drop cookies.
- Hazelnut tuiles with cashew cream filling.
- Gluten-free chocolate chip cookies.
Day 2 – Cakes, Quick Breads, Frostings and Fillings
Moist cakes and muffins will be your forte after this class. You’ll also make spreadable and pipeable frostings from coconut milk and nut butters. You’ll complete your cakes with all of the best decorating techniques, using a variety of pastry tips to create flowers, borders, basket weaving, elegant writing and more.
- Fudgy chocolate cake with chocolate peanut-butter frosting.
- Vanilla cake with mocha frosting.
- Lemon cake with lemon whipped coconut cream.
- Orange cake with orange whipped coconut cream.
- Corn muffins.
- Blueberry muffins.
- Peach pecan muffins.
- Morning glory muffins.
- Walnut zucchini bread.
Day 3 – Pies and Tarts
Mmm … what’s more comforting than a warm slice of homemade pie? Each student will prepare two types of pie crust: a rolled-out, flaky pie dough crust and a pressed-nut crust. The class will also cover how to blind-bake crusts and form free-hand galettes. Fruity and creamy fillings for all seasons will be featured in this jam-packed day of baking and assembling.
- Bosc pear galettes.
- Apple crumb pie.
- Pumpkin pie.
- Swiss toasted pecan pie.
- Coconut-lime tart with toasted walnut crust.
- Mini fruit tarts with almond cream.
Day 4 – Flourless and Frozen Desserts: Ice Creams, Sorbet, Raw “Cheesecake,” Truffles and Chocolate Bark
Once you’ve mastered doughs and batters, advance to the world of unbelievably creamy, dairy-free ice creams, cheesecakes and more. Unleash your inner chocolatier as you roll ganache truffles, coat with tempered chocolate and make chocolate bark. Bon appétit!
- Ice creams: vanilla bean, basil, cardamom, Mexican cinnamon.
- Sorbets: strawberry, green apple, lemon ginger, orange.
- Raw cheesecakes: blueberry, raspberry, mango, caramel swirl.
- Chocolate ganache truffles: toasted coconut, pistachio, mint, lime sea salt.
- Chocolate bark with flower and raspberries.