"I always tell staff and students to keep pushing; push yourself further each day, whether to organize the perfect station, perfect a technique or push a recipe further."
Chef Barry Tonkinson is from the United Kingdom where he studied English literature, media studies and sociology at Backwell Sixth Form College in Bristol, followed by culinary arts at Westminster Kingsway College in London.
He began his career at the prestigious five-star Lanesborough hotel in London under the tutelage of executive chef and mentor Paul Gayler MBE (Member of the British Empire, honoring distinguished service in one’s field). Barry worked across all sections and kitchens at The Lanesborough, learning a broad spectrum of food styles. He worked closely with Paul Gayler in recipe testing and outside events before honing his interest in a fine-dining restaurant setting.
In 2008, Barry moved to one-Michelin-starred The Bath Priory, which used a more modern and technical approach to food. The following year Barry rejoined The Lanesborough to open Apsleys, under Chef Heinz Beck of three-Michelin-starred La Pergola. Chef Barry also developed and tested recipes, and executed all operational structures at the one-Michelin-starred restaurant.
In 2011, Barry moved to Connecticut a catering company as head of operations and partner. Chef Barry’s interest in recipe development and modern cuisine continued, as he led all areas of operations.
Today, Chef Barry's ready for a new challenge as ICE's director of culinary research with plans to produce groundbreaking educational material and "show students how the food world is developing without alienating them." He embraces a modernist approach to savory cooking, teaches food as a science and encourages student ideas with workshops in which there will be freedom to fail and discuss how to constantly push for improvement.
- Owner/Head of Operations, Spring Summer Associates, 2011 to 2018
- Senior Chef de Partie, Apsleys a Heinz Beck Restaurant at The Lanesborough, 2009-2011
- Chef, The Bath Priory, 2008-2009
- Senior Chef de Partie, The Lanesborough, 2005-2008
Awards and Honors
- Winner, Vegetarian Chef of the Future, Vegetarian Society, 2009
Specialities/Areas of Interest
- Recipe development and cross testing
- Menu design and planning
- Budgeting and cost control
- Inventory management
Affiliations & Memberships
- HAACP Certified
- ServSafe Certified
Barry Tonkinson on the Blog
- Experimenting with Koji in the Culinary Technology Lab
- Chef Barry on Finding Your Culinary Voice
- Chef Charcutier Arthur Dehaine Reimagines Tradition
- How to Prepare Sous Vide Lamb this Spring
- Chef Barry's Scallop Crudo and Balsamic "Caviar"
- Chef Barry's Salt-Baked Celery Root Recipe
- Chef Barry Visits AeroFarms' Aeroponic Farm
- Pro Plating Tips for Holiday Hosting
- Cooking with Charcoal