REPORTS TO: Director of Culinary Event Sales
Date: October 2014
The Special Events Lead Chef will be responsible for managing the culinary facet of the Special Events Department. The Chef will manage other Chefs while working in the division and will lead private culinary events, including both corporate and personal events from 12 to 100 guests. The Chef will be responsible for ensuring that the highest quality food service and experience for clients are consistently delivered. Opportunities may be available to teach Recreational and Career classes for the right candidate.
EVENTS & SERVICES OFFERED BY SPECIAL EVENTS DEPARTMENT
• Corporate Hands-on Cooking parties, including but not limited to, team-building events, sales meetings, client entertaining and celebrations. Personal Hands-on Cooking parties, including but not limited to, birthday parties, anniversary parties, baby showers and children’s events
• Meetings & conferences, whereas a culinary setting is useful or desired (examples include a KitchenAid sales meeting and World Science Festival food seminar)
SPECIFIC JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Menu design and development such as; Seasonal Menu three times a year, client customized menus, upgrade packages, and other menus, as requested
• Responsible for original recipes, costing, and profit margin analysis of menus developed
• Works in conjunction with Manager of Special Events and Staffing Manager to ensure all events are staffed properly, including but not limited to, Chef Assistants and Chefs
• Sets standards for kitchen cleanliness and organization, and plating of dishes. Ensures compliance of standards among culinary team
• Assists in Chef and Chef Assistant recruitment and interview process
• Creates and executes a consolidated prep schedule based on each week’s events
• Ensures proper ingredients and appropriate quantities are ordered in a timely manner in the appropriate format through the Stewarding department. Manages other Chefs to ensure that ICE standards are met
• Leads private events by directing and managing team of up to 10 Chef Assistants and Kitchen Assistants. Ensures correct event flow, maintains a fun and positive environment and interacts with guests
• Demonstrates techniques and concepts as used in the recipes during events
• Delivers clear, concise and organized demonstrations during events
• Ensures that events are conducted in a manner that complies with principles of food safety and sanitation
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
• Culinary diploma and/or some form of formal Culinary Education
• Culinary & Pastry background preferred
• Minimum of 5 years culinary experience. Fine Dining experience required.
• Previous teaching experience preferred
• Flexible schedule (weekends and evenings)
• Must possess a strong sense of urgency and attention to detail
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal. Strong presentation and interpersonal skills
• Demonstrated ability to interact in a collaborative manner with teams and other departments
• Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills required
• Proficient in Microsoft suite of products including Outlook, Word and Excel
Please forward resume, cover letter and salary requirements to email@example.com.
The award-winning Institute of Culinary Education (ICE) was established in 1975 and has since grown to be one of America’s leading centers for culinary education and recreational cooking. ICE offers comprehensive career training programs in the Culinary Arts, Pastry & Baking Arts, Culinary Management and Hospitality Management. ICE also operates the nation’s largest recreational cooking, baking and wine education program, with over 2,500 classes to 26,000 students annually. Our 49,000-square-foot “vertical campus” is located at 50 West 23rd Street and is open 355 days and nights a year.
For more information about ICE, please visit our website www.ice.edu, YouTube channel or follow us @iceculinary on Twitter.