“Respect the old, but embrace the new. If you can master the classics, then the possibilities are endless."
Rory Macdonald spent his childhood in South London and began his culinary career apprenticing at a historic, countryside property in Surrey, followed by a two-Michelin-starred restaurant in Madrid.
Chef Rory continued to develop hospitality and gastronomy experience at renowned restaurants in London and San Sebastian, Spain, before traveling to New York to work with Gordon Ramsey at The London hotel, where the new restaurant earned two Michelin stars.
In 2012, Chef Rory helped open Hakkasan's flagship New York City location and went on to lead the pastry programs at four additional locations in the U.S. After years of travel, Chef Rory debuted his first solo concept: Patisserie Chanson + Dessert Bar.
Today, Chef Rory is known for his six-course, omakase-style, dessert tasting menus that have earned extensive acclaim. His first cookbook, "Bake," was released in spring 2019, around the time he began working with the Institute of Culinary Education. He's excited to research and innovate at ICE's New York campus.
In the News
- Cookery and Advanced Cookery, Brooklands College
- National Diploma in Hotel Operations, East Surrey College
- Executive Pastry Chef, Patisserie Chanson and Dessert Bar, 2016 to present
- Executive Pastry Chef, Hakkasan Group, 2012-2016
- Executive Sous Chef, Gordon Ramsay at The London NYC, 2007-2009
- Stagier, Arzak, San Sebastian, 2007
- Senior Chef de Partie, Pearl Restaurant, London, 2005-2007
- Chef de Partie, El Cenador de Salvador, 2003-2005
Specialties/Areas of Interest
- Molecular gastronomy
- Fine dining
- Menu development
- Hotel restaurants
Rory Macdonald on the Blog
- Carrot and Apple Cookies for Kids
- Turmeric and Golden Raisin Bread
- Classic Canelé: The History of the Fluted French Pastry
- Elevate Cheesecake with Balsamic Glaze and Spun Sugar
- How to Leave a Job in the Restaurant Industry
- The Curious History of the Mince Pie
- Chef Rory Macdonald's No-Bake Cheesecake
- How to Chef-ify Pecan Pie
- Picture-Perfect Passionfruit Gelato