Elevate Cheesecake with Balsamic Glaze and Spun Sugar
Pastry Chef Rory Macdonald turns a classic dessert into an elegant dish with Balsamic Vinegar of Modena.
Balsamic Vinegar of Modena can melt in your mouth and add an element of surprise and delight to a pastry in the form of spun sugar.
Chef Rory Macdonald tops his mini cheesecakes with a glaze combining cherry puree and balsamic. The flavors marry beautifully and he adds a touch of creativity and ingenuity with his slinky-like spun sugar. Using a tube attachment on an electric screwdriver, he spins a balsamic-isomalt mixture into thin, golden cylinders to delicately top each cake.
Watch the video for Chef Rory's sweet technique and get two recipes below.
Cherry and Balsamic Glaze
- 12 sheeted gelatin
- 400 grams Morello cherry puree
- 100 grams Balsamic Vinegar of modena
- 120 grams sugar (1)
- 50 grams glucose
- 200 grams sugar (2)
- 8 grams pectin
- 6 grams citric acid
- 10 grams water
- Boil puree, glucose and 120 grams sugar (1).
- Whisk pectin and 200 grams sugar (2) together.
- Slowly whisk in pectin and sugar mix so there are no lumps. Whisk for 1 minute.
- Add citric acid and water.
- Add bloomed gelatin sheets followed by balsamic, whisk until combined.
- Cool slightly to 40 C and glaze.
- 200 grams isomalt
- 80 grams Balsamic Vinegar of Modena
- Place the isomalt in a small saucepan and begin to melt (without water) over low heat. Avoid stirring if possible.
- The isomalt will turn to liquid and begin to bubble, gradually bring up to 135 C.
- Add the balsamic (beware it will bubble and react when added), stir with a heatproof spatula and continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Do not overcook at this stage as the vinegar will burn and leave a bad aftertaste.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool until the isomalt/vinegar mix has started to set.
- Using a teaspoon, gradually drop this over the moving screwdriver to create the thin spiral. Allow to cool for around a minute before removing from the attachment.
- Use immediately or store in an airtight container with silica gel to remove any moisture.