Chef Michael Laiskonis Cooks at Macy's
Last week, ICE Creative Director Michael Laiskonis held a demo at Macy’s as part of their Culinary Council where expert chefs from across the country come to share recipes and tips in the cellar at Macy’s flagship store.
Michael highlighted Crunchy Choux Puffs and Orange Flower Mousseline with Greenmarket Strawberries. He broke down each recipe so that these decadent pastries sounded as easy as they are to make. (Or perhaps Michael just makes them look that way!?) While he showed the step by step process, two students from ICE were busy plating the desserts for an afternoon indulgence. And if you’d like to attempt yourself, below is the recipe. Enjoy!
Pâte à Choux
- 75 grams/2.6ounces/ ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 75 grams/2.6 ounces/ 10 tablespoons high gluten flour
- 125 grams/4.2 ounces/ ½ cup whole milk
- 125 grams/4.2 ounces/ ½ cup water
- 10 grams/0.3 ounce/ 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Pinch salt
- 100 grams/3.5ounces/ 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 whole eggs
- Sift flours; reserve.
- Place milk, water, sugar, salt, and butter in a saucepan and bring to a rolling boil. Remove from heat and stir in the flour until combined; return to heat and cook for 1-2 minutes until a smooth mass has formed.
- Transfer to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat the mixture until slightly cooled; incorporate the eggs in the small amounts.
- Transfer the paste to a pastry bag fitted with a large plain tip. Pipe medium-sized mounds of the paste onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Top each mound with a thin slice of the choux sable. Place in a 325˚F/160˚C oven, and bake until golden and dry, approximately 20-25 minutes.
Vanilla Pastry Cream
- 250 grams/8 ounces/ 1 cup whole milk
- 85 grams/3 ounces/ 6 tablespoons heavy cream (36% fat)
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped 2 egg yolks
- 80 grams/3 ounces/ ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 16 grams/0.5 ounce cornstarch
- 1 sheet gelatin, bloomed in cold water
- 30 grams/1 ounce unsalted butter
- 1. Bring milk, cream, and vanilla to a boil.
- Whisk together egg yolks, sugar, and cornstarch. Temper in hot milk.
- Return to heat and bring just to a boil. Remove from heat and add gelatin and butter. Chill.
- 100 grams/3.5 ounces/ ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 225 grams/8 ounces/ 1 cup unsalted butter
- Combine sugar and egg whites in a bowl and heat over a double boiler to approximately 120˚F/55°C, or until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Transfer the egg whites to the bowl of an electric stand mixer and whip until cool.
- Add butter in small amounts.
Orange Flower Mousseline
- 240 grams/8 ounces/ 1 ½ cup buttercream
- 240 grams/8 ounces/ 1 ½ cup vanilla pastry cream
- 10 grams/0.7 ounce/ 2 teaspoons orange flower
- Gently fold all ingredients together. Transfer to a pastry bag fitted with a small plain tip and fill each choux puff.
- Serve immediately with chopped and lightly sweetened strawberries.