Chef Penny's Chai Apple Pie
This dessert recipe has bonus recipes for candied ginger and creme Parisienne.
Epicurious' 4 Levels series showcases three approaches to a comfort food recipe with an amateur and home cook alongside a chef from the Institute of Culinary Education. In the latest episode, Chef Penny shares a special apple pie with spices and rum.
"The secret ingredient in this recipe is caramelized white chocolate," Chef Penny entices. She says the warm and sweet pie with savory and boozy kicks "fires on every note."
"If you're going to eat dessert, it better be worth it. This is worth it." Watch her demonstrate pro apple pie making techniques in the video and get the complete recipe below.
Chai Apple Pie with Dulcy Rum Creme Parisienne
Yields 2 double crust pies
- 3 grams salt
- 15 grams sugar
- 454 grams all-purpose flour
- 225 grams cake flour
- 454 grams unsalted butter, cold
- 3 fluid ounces water
- 3 fluid ounces vodka
- Combine dry ingredients in bowl of KitchenAid mixer.
- Cut cold butter into 1-inch pieces. Cut into dry ingredients with paddle attachment until about almond size pieces.
- Add liquid and mix only to bring together.
- Create a log and chill dough for 1 hour up to overnight.
- 12 medium apples, various kinds (4 Granny Smith, 4 Jona Gold, 4 Gala), resulting in about 1350 grams when prepped (peeled, cored and sliced)
- 80 grams unsalted butter
- 6 grams spice mix (recipe follows)
- 15 grams whole cinnamon
- 3 grams salt
- 1 vanilla bean
- 30 grams dark rum (Don Q)
- 215 grams demerara sugar
- 150 grams candied ginger, finely chopped (recipe follows)
- Melt butter, add spices, split vanilla bean and salt.
- Add apples and sugar and sauce until softened and juices have come out.
- Finish with rum and candied ginger.
- Chill in refrigerator, 4 hours or overnight.
- 150 grams ginger, peeled and sliced
- 250 grams sugar
- 250 grams water
- 1 pinch salt
- Boil in water 3 times.
- Cook in sugar syrup to 225 F.
- Let sit 1 hour.
- Remove and dry, roll in sugar if desired.
Spice Mix (for pie filling)
- 5 grams ea whole spices (star anise, allspice, cardamom)
- 3 grams black pepper
- 3 grams clove
- Toasted together and ground in spice grinder.
- 1 egg
- Demerara sugar
- Roll bottom pie crust and fit into pan with overhang.
- Fill will cooled filling.
- Brush edge with egg wash.
- Top with preferred upper crust.
- Egg wash and sprinkle with more demerera sugar
- Bake at 375 F preferably at bottom of oven, until top is crisp and any visible juices are bubbling.
- 100 grams dulcy or caramelized white chocolate
- 11 ounces heavy cream
- 2 ounces whole milk
- 1 ounce sugar
- 2 ounces Don Q rum
- Bring cream, milk and sugar to boil. Stir in melted chocolate and rum.
- Chill fully.
Make pro pies with Chef Penny in ICE's Pastry & Baking Arts program.