Say "I Heart You" with this Chocolate Layer Cake
Chef Jenny layers her ultra-rich chocolate cake — with an extra dose of delicious from the addition of espresso — with piles of velvety Nutella-mascarpone frosting and adds an exciting crunch from chopped hazelnuts. What’s more; though it looks and tastes impressive, this simple recipe requires minimal ingredients and no stand mixer or fancy tools — who needs the extra stress on the big day? Trust us: it’ll be love at first bite.
In a new video from ICE and PEOPLE magazine, ICE Chef Jenny McCoy shares the secret to impressing your sweetheart this Valentine’s Day (hint: it’s CHOCOLATE). Watch Chef Jenny demonstrate how to create the cake in the video below — then keep scrolling for the full recipe and her pro tips for whipping it up at home.
Here are some cake-baking tips from Chef Jenny, so you can stress less about dessert and focus more on giving that romance a chance. We can hear Barry White already…
- The components of the cake can be made up to two days in advance and assembled right before serving.
- Don’t let the cakes cool in the pans for more that 10 minutes, as this can cause them to shrink and stick to the pans.
- Can’t find mascarpone? Swap for cream cheese!
- Use the plate and wheeled ring in your microwave as a cake turntable substitute. (Want to see how? Check out this video.)
- If you don't have a pastry bag and pastry tip, just use a spatula to spread the filling over the cake layers.
- Lining your cake pans with parchment will ensure they don’t stick — but how to cut a circle of parchment to perfectly fit the size of your pan? Watch this.
- Thinking about going pro with your cake deco? Check out ICE’s Professional Cake Decorating Program.
Decadent Dark Chocolate Cake Recipe with Nutella-Mascarpone Filling
For the Dark Chocolate Cake
Yield: Makes two 8-inch round cake layers
- 1¾ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 large eggs
- 1¼ granulated sugar
- 1 cup brewed coffee, at room temperature
- Position rack in center of the oven and preheat to 350°F. Line two 8-inch round cake pans with parchment paper and lightly coat with non-stick cooking spray. Sift flour, cocoa, espresso, salt and baking soda together in a bowl or onto a piece of parchment.
- In a large bowl, add eggs, sugar and coffee, and whisk until thickened and light in color. Gradually whisk in dry ingredients until smooth.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two cake pans and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Transfer cake pans to a cooling rack and let cool for 5 minutes. Gently invert and cool to room temperature before using.
For the Nutella-Mascarpone Filling
Yield: Makes about 4 cups
- 3½ cups Nutella or chocolate-hazelnut spread
- 1½ cup mascarpone cheese
- In a large bowl, fold the Nutella and mascarpone together until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use or up to 3 days. If needed, stir the filling to soften before using.
- 1 recipe Dark Chocolate Cake
- 1 recipe Nutella-Mascarpone Filling
- 1 cup roasted hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- Place one Dark Chocolate Cake layer on an 8-inch cardboard cake round. Pipe a 3/4-inch thick layer of the Nutella-Mascarpone Filling, starting at the edge of the cake and working your way into the center. Scatter the top of the filling generously with the chopped hazelnuts. Gently place the second layer of cake on top of the filling. Pipe the remaining filling on top of the cake, swirling into a decorative pattern, and sprinkle with remaining nuts.
Want to take your pastry & baking skills to the next level? Click here for more information on ICE's career programs.