Recipe: Pumpkin Pie
With only a few days left until Thanksgiving, cooks across the country have set their menus, bought their groceries and are defrosting their turkeys. One of the highlights of the feast is always dessert.
A classic pumpkin pie is a favorite, tried and tested to perfection. This recipe for a gently spiced pumpkin pie filling comes from the ICEPastry & Baking Arts curriculum, designed by Chef Nick Malgieri. It is one of the students’ favorites. Try it with your favorite pie crust, or try this recipe from ICE.
- 10 ounces pie dough
- 15 ounces canned pumpkin
- 2 eggs
- 2 yolks
- 6 ounces sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 10 fluid ounces half-and-half cream
Makes one 9-inch pie Line a
- 9-inch pie pan with the pie dough and flute the edges. For the filling, scrape pumpkin into a bowl and whisk in eggs and yolks. Whisk in remaining ingredients in order, whisking smooth between each addition.
- Pour the filling into the prepared pie crust.
- Bake at 350ºF for about 1 hour, until the crust is baked through and the filling is set. Cool the pie on a rack.