Recipe: Chicken Tagine with Couscous
There are few meals as comforting as a slowly braised meat. Add a plethora of spices, vegetables, dried fruits and you’ve got a truly delicious meal.
- Olive oil, as needed for browning chicken
- 2 pounds chicken legs and thighs, bone-in Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Spanish onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 large pinch saffron
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon tumeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 48 fluid ounces water
- 1 ounce honey
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 ounces diced zucchini
- 4 ounces diced yellow squash
- 4 ounces chopped prunes
- 3 ounces chopped apricots
- 10 ounces cooked chickpeas
- 1/2 ounce cilantro leaves
Makes 4 servings
- Heat a small amount of olive oil in a small rondeau or large saucepan. Season the chicken pieces and brown them in the oil and remove. Add the onion and sweat until limp and translucent. Add the saffron, coriander, tumeric, cumin, ginger and cayenne pepper and cook briefly. Add the water, honey and cinnamon stick. Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Return the chicken pieces to the pan and simmer the chicken for about 15 minutes, uncovered. Add the zucchini, yellow squash, prunes, apricots and chickpeas and continue to simmer the mixture until the chicken and vegetables are tender.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning. Serve on a bed of couscous and garnish with the cilantro leaves.