Recipe: Broccoli Soufflé
Soufflés are a classic French dessert, but most Americans are unaware that savory soufflés made with vegetables and cheese are also common. This delicious broccoli version from the ICECulinary Artscurriculum is a refined addition to any table and is particularly well-suited for a sophisticated holiday meal.
- 2 ounces softened butter
- 2 ounces grated parmesan cheese
- 10 ounces broccoli, peeled and trimmed
- 1-ounce butter Salt and pepper to taste Nutmeg to taste
- 1 ounce Gruyère cheese, small dice
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
Makes 4 servings
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Coat the inside of a ramekin with softened butter and dust with Parmesan cheese. Blanch the broccoli in boiling water until just tender and drain well. Purée in a food processor.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat and add the purée. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir in the Gruyère cheese. Add the egg yolks. Remove from the heat. Beat the egg whites to soft peaks and fold in the vegetable mixture. Pour into prepared ramekins.
- Place the ramekins in a roasting pan and add hot water to about 1/3 of the way up the sides of the ramekins. Bake for 10 minutes until risen and browned on top.