- 6 Rome Beauty apples
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 ounces currants or raisins
- 4 ounces pecans or walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 4 ounces light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 ounces unsalted butter, cubed
- 8 ounces apricot preserves
- 8 fluid ounces water
- Pinch ground cinnamon
Makes 6 servings
- Invert apples so that blossom end is upward. Core apples, make sure to remove all seeds and tough seed chamber. Peel the top third of each apple only. Arrange prepared apples in a small roasting pan or gratin dish. Rub the peeled are of each apple with the lemon half.
- Combine currants, pecans or walnuts and light brown sugar in a bowl and fill each apple with the mixture. Top each apple with one-sixth of the butter. Heat the preserves and water in a small saucepan just until the preserves melt and strain the pulp.
- Pour apricot preserve mixture over apple and sprinkle with cinnamon. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake at 350ºF for about 40 minutes or until the apples are beginning to soften.
- Uncover the apples and baste frequently with pan juices until they are baked through and the peeled areas are golden. Cool in the pan and serve warm with liquid cream or crème fraîche.