From the Garden: Farfalle with Arugula-Walnut Pesto
There is no time better than now to take advantage of local summertime greens. This arugula-walnut pesto pasta is sure to be a staple at your outdoor gatherings this summer as it is easy and quick to whip together.
Myriam Fieulleteau, NGI’s Executive Steward (and resident gardening guru), brought in this arugula from her home garden and Chef Alex utilized it in this recipe.
FARFALLE WITH ARUGULA-WALNUT PESTO
Yield: 4-6 servings Ingredients:
- 1 pound farfalle pasta (or other short cut pasta)
- 4 cups packed arugula, washed and spun dry
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 cup lightly toasted walnuts
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Parmesan cheese (*optional)
- Arugula flowers, to garnish (*optional)
- Cook pasta until al dente according to package directions.
- While pasta cooks, make the pesto. In a food processor, combine arugula, garlic, walnuts, olive oil, salt and pepper in a food processor, and puree until smooth.
- Immediately after the pasta is drained, toss it with pesto until thoroughly combined.
- Serve topped with cheese and arugula flowers, if using.