Beaucoup Bacon - Rendering America's Favorite Meat with Chef Virginia Monaco
There once was a time when bacon meant breakfast, but these days, both chefs and eaters can't get enough of this porky indulgence. As with all ingredients, Chef Virginia Monaco knows that quality matters, so she opts for these alternatives to basic, pre-cut bacon.
Baby Kale Carbonara
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 6 ounces diced guanciale
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 6 eggs
- 2 ounces grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 lb washed baby kale
- salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cook spaghetti in salted water until al dente. Drain, and put to the side. Reserve some pasta water for your sauce.
- Warm olive oil in a skillet and add diced guanciale.
- Cook guanciale until crisp and fat has rendered out.
- Mix together eggs, cheese, cream, salt and lots of pepper in a bowl.
- Add warm pasta to the skillet. Off the heat, pour in egg and cheese mixture, stirring constantly until thickened and creamy. Adjust with pasta water if too thick.
- Add kale and toss to wilt slightly.
- To plate, top with some extra cheese and pepper and enjoy!
To learn more about bacon's many culinary uses, check out our recreational cooking class: "Beaucoup Bacon".