$5 Dinners: Sweet Potato, Kale and White Bean Hash with Vegan Corn Muffins
The $5 Dinners series features recipes that cost less than $5 per serving. With this series, we hope to dispel the myth that you have to empty your wallet to prepare delicious and healthy meals.
This meal is prepared using nutritionally sound, seasonal ingredients, and is deceivingly simple, making it the perfect weeknight dinner. The best part? Each serving costs about $2.50, proving there is no reason food can’t be good to your body as well as your budget.
Sweet Potato, Kale and White Bean Hash
Yields 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet potato, scrubbed and diced
- ¼ cup white onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup dried cannellini beans, soaked, or 1 cup canned cannellini beans
- 3 cups Lacinato Kale, sliced into thin ribbons
- 1 lemon, zested
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded (*optional)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat. Add the potatoes and a pinch of salt, and stir. Cover the skillet and cook for 7-9 minutes, stirring occasionally so that all sides of the potatoes are browning.
- Add the onions and white beans to the skillet, and mix well. Cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened.
- Add the kale and cook just until kale is beginning to wilt. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle in lemon zest, parmesan cheese* and black pepper, and salt and crushed red pepper flakes to taste. Serve with vegan corn muffins (recipe below).
Vegan Corn Muffins
Yields 4 servings (12 mini muffins)
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup soy milk or other milk substitute
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon canola oil
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Lightly grease a mini muffin pan.
- Combine the cornmeal, flour, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Stir in applesauce, soy milk and agave nectar.
- Slowly add the oil while stirring. Pour the mixture into the muffin pan.
- Bake until a toothpick or a small knife inserted into the center comes out clean, about 15 to 20 minutes.
This post was originally published by the Natural Gourmet Institute. Learn more about today's Natural Gourmet Center.