Perfect a Parfait with Pomegranate Balsamic Coulis
Chef Joseph Settepani's Essence of Modena dish celebrates Italy's agriculture.
When I hear balsamic vinegar, I automatically think back to my roots in Italy and what we used to eat balsamic with and where it came from.
The first thing that comes to mind is our agriculture in Italy and what we used to grow and make. I think of figs and strawberry, my perfect combination, and then I wonder what can elevate this dish to make it even better but light. I think of ricotta with a touch of honey and citrus.
I came up with the Essence of Modena to show how the little things in our world, from our souls to our plants and animals, can create beautiful harmony. For me, it touches many aspects of Italy in one dish.
Ricotta Lime Parfait
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 pinch egg white powder
- 45 grams sugar
- 15 grams water
- Place sugar and water in a pot and bring to 250 F.
- While sugar is coming to temp, place egg whites and powder in mixing bowl (with whisk attachment) and bring to a soft peak.
- Once sugar comes to temp, slowly add sugar to the whipped egg whites and whip until medium hard peak.
- Set aside to use in next recipe.
- 200 grams whole milk
- 150 grams ricotta impastata
- 1 vanilla bean
- 135 grams granulated sugar
- 9 large yolks
- 30 grams inverted sugar
- 360 grams heavy cream (40%fat)
- 2 lime zest
- 3 gelatin sheets (silver)
- Over a double boiler place milk, zest, vanilla bean, yolks and inverted sugar. Bring this mixture to 181 F.
- After mixture comes to 181 F, add gelatin and ricotta then cool down.
- While mixture is chilled, whip heavy cream to soft peak and set aside in fridge until egg mix is cooled down.
- Once cooled down, fold egg mixture with 50 grams of meringue then fold in whip.
- 240 grams strawberry puree
- 10 grams Balsamic Vinegar of Modena
- 1.75 ounces granulated sugar
- 1/2 cap lemon juice
- 3 gelatin sheets (silver)
- 500 grams heavy cream (40% fat)
- Bring purée sugar and lemon juice to a simmer. Add balsamic and gelatin sheets and let cool.
- Whip cream to soft peak and fold in purée mixture. Store in container until use.
Pomegranate Balsamic Coulis
- 40 grams Balsamic Vinegar of Modena
- 50 grams water
- 30 grams pomegranate puree
- 0.35 grams xanthan gum
- 1 pinch course salt
- 1 pinch granulated sugar
- 15 grams olive oil
- In a quart container, mix together balsamic, water and purée.
- With an immersion blender, add salt, sugar and xanthan gum and then add oil. Store inside pipping bag.
- 55 grams butter
- 50 grams sugar
- 20 grams yolks
- 2 grams sea salt
- 3 grams baking soda
- 65 grams all-purpose flour
- 10 grams cocoa powder
- In a mixer bowl fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar. Slowly add egg yolk scrap down in between. Add the flour, salt, baking soda and cocoa powder mixing until combined. Chill until use.
- Roll out sheets and bake. Once baked, process in food processor until soil-like.
- Grill mission figs and then brush with organic honey. Cut in quarter slices.