5 Substitutions to Try for Vegetarian Awareness Month
October is celebrated as Vegetarian Awareness Month.
For over 40 years, Natural Gourmet Institute (NGI) promoted the health benefits of eating a plant-centric diet for environmental, health and humanitarian benefits.
Chef instructors and students at NGI were continuously testing the best substitutions for flavorful vegetarian recipes. There was even a quest for the best egg substitution for baking cookies. Read on for some more of our favorites vegetarian substitutions.
- Use cauliflower in place of fish when making ceviche for a similar texture and an excellent source of vitamin C and vitamin K.
- Combine almond meal with salt and onion powder to substitute Parmesan cheese. This substitution will provide delicious “cheesy” flavor to your salads, soups, and pastas.
- When making potato soup, add smoky Lapsang Souchong tea in place of bacon. Lapsang has a distinctive smoky flavor, as its leaves are traditionally smoke-dried over pinewood fire.
- For baking, replace 1 cup of butter for 1 cup of avocado puree or ½ cup applesauce, plus ½ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil. This provides a lighter texture and healthier alternative for your baked goods.
- To thicken pureed soups without dairy, use coconut milk or oats. Either will provide a very similar texture to regular milk or cream.
This post was originally published by the Natural Gourmet Institute. Learn how to cook up some delicious, plant-based dishes in the Natural Gourmet Center at ICE's health-supportive classes.