Recipe: Rhubarb and Apple Compote
As a cultivated crop, rhubarb has been aptly nicknamed "pie-plant" and does best as a spring-planted crop. This recipe for rhubarb-apple compte illustrates how rhubarb can be matched with fruits other than strawberries. Paired with grilled pork chops, it makes a nice accompaniment offering a sweet-tart contrast to the meat.
Rhubarb and Apple Compote
- 4 firm-fleshed apples (such as Braeburn, Cortland, Winesap, or other variety) peeled, cored and cut into medium dice
- 10 stalks rhubarb, trimmed of any leaves, peeled and cut into medium dice
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1tsp finely grated orange zest
- 1cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- In a non-reactive sauce pot, placed over moderately low heat, combine the sugar, orange zest and orange juice. Bring this to a simmer and add the apples.
- Simmer the apples for approximately five minutes, or until the texture begins to soften.
- Add the rhubarb and simmer until the apples and rhubarb are tender. Add the lemon juice and nutmeg.
- Set aside until ready to serve.