Feel Good Food: Quinoa Salad and Avocado
Treviso radicchio brings color to a balanced dish.
Snacking while you stay home doesn't have to be unhealthy. Chef Barry has home recipes to help you fuel productivity and feel good.
A global superstar health food, quinoa contains all nine essential amino acids. I'm pairing it with avocado, which is high in potassium and healthy monounsaturated fats, and almonds for smokiness, balance and texture.
Quinoa Salad, Avocado, Smoked Almonds and Treviso
Yields 4 servings
- 2 cups quinoa
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 red pepper, 1/4-inch dice
- 1/2 orange pepper, 1/4-inch dice
- 6 scallions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup smoked almonds, roughly chopped
- 1/2 lemon, zest
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Place quinoa and water together. Place on medium-high with a lid.
- Allow water to be completely absorbed (around 20 minutes).
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Prepare all remaining ingredients.
- When the quinoa is cool, mix together with other ingredients and check seasoning.
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 4 heads Treviso radicchio
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup smoked almonds, whole
- Place quinoa mixture on the base of the plate.
- Top with avocado.
- Remove outer leaves of the Treviso and separate the leaves.
- Mix leaves with olive oil, lemon juice and salt.
- Place dressed leaves on top of avocado.
- Finish with a sprinkle of smoked almonds.