Chef-Worthy St. Patrick's Day Fare
At ICE, Chef Brendan McDermott is most famous for his award-winning knife skills classes, but anyone who has tried his baked goods knows he's a jack of many trades.
Irish Stout Marinated Strip Steak
In celebration of St. Patrick's Day, McDermott shared his Irish heritage with NBC New York's "2 in the Kitchen". Rather than greasy pub fare, he featured Irish stout-marinated steak and curry potato cakes, a nod to the Irish drink of choice and the popularity of Indian cooking in Ireland.
- 4 Strip Steaks
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion, sliced into half moons
- 2 Cloves Garlic, sliced
- 5 Sprigs Thyme
- 8 Leaves Tarragon
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 Cups Stout
- 2 Cups Stock
- Black Pepper (to taste)
- In a medium saucepan, heat up 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Add onions and garlic and saute for about 5 minutes or until brown.
- Add herbs and pepper. Deglaze pan with stout and stock. Bring to a simmer, then turn off heat.
- Place mixture into a bowl and let cool in the refrigerator. Once cool, add marinade to steak, cover with plastic and let it sit for 6-8 hours.
- Remove steaks from marinade, and season with salt and pepper. Grill or cook in a pan over medium/high heat to the desired degree of doneness.
- (Optional) Strain out marinade, bring to a simmer, reduce and use as a sauce for the steaks.