Recreational Lead Instructor
The Institute of Culinary Education runs the largest and broadest hands-on recreational cooking program in America. Founded in 1975, this program has helped define what a modern cooking school could, and should be. The program draws customers from around the nation and world, and has won multiple IACP awards for excellence. Reporting directly to the Director of the School of Recreational Cooking, the Recreational Lead Instructor is intimately involved in the broad range of management, planning, scheduling, recipe writing/editing and instruction of classes that are required to run the program.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Set and maintain the overall standards for the program
- Daily monitoring/supervision of Recreational Classes
- Instructor recruitment, hiring, and supervision
- Staying current with industry trends in order to determine/develop new classes
- Lead recreational class development, menu creation, recipe testing and costing
- Collaborate in the analysis and scheduling of recreational classes
- Lead the staffing of all recreational classes
- Lead the management of the division’s overall food costing
- Establish and maintain working relationships with NYC chefs and restaurants for new and continued recreational class offerings
- Periodic responsibilities serving as ambassador for VIP chefs / special events
- Teach recreational classes, including nights and weekends
- Culinary/Pastry diploma and/or some form of formal Culinary Education
- Minimum of 7 years culinary experience, preferably with management and administrative experience
- Minimum of 5 years recipe editing and writing
- True and demonstrated passion for multiple dimensions of the culinary universe
- Previous teaching experience preferred
- Experience in service business operations a plus
- Proficiency in both culinary and pastry a plus
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal; strong presentation and interpersonal skills
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills required
- Highly organized, detail oriented and proficient at multi-tasking
- Proficient in Microsoft suite of products including Outlook, PowerPoint, Word and Excel
- Ability to work nights and weekends
- Existing contacts in the NYC culinary community is a plus!
Commensurate with experience
Forward resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Institute of Culinary Education (ICE) is one of the largest and most diverse culinary schools in the world with campuses in New York and Los Angeles. Established in 1975, ICE offers award-winning six to 13-month career training programs in Culinary Arts, Pastry & Baking Arts, Health-Supportive Culinary Arts, Restaurant & Culinary Management and Hotel & Hospitality Management and continuing education programs in Artisan Bread Baking and the Art of Cake Decorating — with more than 14,000 successful alumni, many of whom are leaders in the industry. ICE also offers professional development for culinary professionals, hosts more than 500 special events each year and is home to one of the world’s largest recreational cooking, baking and beverage programs with 26,000 students annually. ICE’s 74,000-square-foot, cutting-edge campus in New York City and 38,000-square-foot Los Angeles campus were designed for inspiration, creativity and community. Visit us at ice.edu, watch our videos on YouTube at youtube.com/iceculinary, or join the conversation on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook at @iceculinary to find your culinary voice™.
The Institute of Culinary Education is an equal opportunity employer.