Karyn Tori Seltzer
Born and raised in the borough of Queens, home of New York City’s most diverse culinary landscape and food mecca, Karyn Seltzer was exposed to the unifying power of food in relation to community at an early age. She went on to earn her BA in psychology and anthropology from Syracuse University.
Karyn began a professional life in the New York publishing world, pursuing her love of literature, arts and culture, including management at the Village Voice Literary Supplement and senior management for books, restaurants and retail at the Los Angeles Reader weekly magazine. There, Karyn was captivated by the inner workings of LA’s most popular and iconic restaurants. On a whim and favor to the owners, she filled in as host on a busy night at Sabor, an innovative new hot spot at the time, and the exhilarating experience inspired her 20-year career in the culinary arts, restaurant and hospitality industry.
Karyn has held a variety of upper-level positions at such renowned restaurants as brunch hot spot Sarabeth’s; the East Village’s landmark British restaurant, pub and entertainment/event venue Telephone Bar and Grill; and the prestigious global-network Belgian bakery and restaurant Le Pain Quotidien’s flagship location in Columbus Circle. In 2013, she founded Brooklyn Porridge Co. in Park Slope. Karyn’s innovative business model and global, nutritious, comfort-food menu earned rave reviews in The New York Times, Conde Nast Traveler, Eater, Gothamist, The Wall Street Journal and others.
An impassioned storyteller and experienced restaurateur, Karyn weaves the latest findings and innovations in lifestyle, trends, techniques and technology with her knowledge, humor and experience as an instructor, leader and mentor. Karyn is dedicated to inspiring the next generation of food and hospitality leaders to develop and realize their core values and professional goals. She emphasizes the need to foresee and embrace opportunities within a rapidly evolving industry while always appreciating that food is the great connector, a common experience that encourages us to share more than the meal with each other, but also our thoughts, experiences and lives.
- Founder and Owner, Brooklyn Porridge Co., LLC, 2013-Present
- GM, Le Pain Quotidien, 2010-2013
- GM and Managing Partner, Telephone Bar and Grill, 1999-2009
- Co- Producer, Bartleby, The Scrivener, Blue Heron Theatre 2005
- GM, Sarabeth's, 1997-1999
Specialties/Areas of Expertise
- Training and Team Building
- Food and Beverage Management
- Food Safety and Sanitation
- Purchasing and Cost Controls
- Financial Planning and Administration
- Menu Planning, Design and Concept Development
- Authentic Leadership and Building Your Business Culture
- Facility Management
- Catering and Event Management
- Healthful Food Alternatives
- Hospitality Food and Beverage Management
- Food Production and Kitchen Management
- Mathematical & Financial Concepts for Hospitality (sub)
Affiliations & Memberships
- Slow Food USA
- NYS Anti Hunger Solutions
- Food Tank, The Food Think Tank
- FRAC Food Research and Action Center
- Center for Food Safety