"Without proper technique and understanding of the process, you will never be able to achieve your goals.”
Chef Joseph studied baking and pastry at the CIA, where he was a group leader for his baking and pastry class and a member of the Baking and Pastry Society. He first worked at Emporio Rulli in Larkspur, California, as a pastry chef assistant and went on to assist pastry chef instructors at the French Pastry School in Chicago. Chef Joseph had previously assisted chef instructors at the National Pastry Forum in Phoenix and the World Pastry Forum in Nashville.
He's run the day-to-day operations of Bruno Bakery & Restaurant in Staten Island since 2013, where he is the executive pastry chef. Chef Joseph creates seasonal menu items, teaches themed classes with his own recipes and manages inventory and scheduling.
Chef Joseph competed on Food Network's "Sweet Genius," coming in third place, and has been featured in Dessert Professional magazine, Food & Wine, and the Staten Island Advance. He's competed in pastry, cake and chocolate competitions, including the Coppa del Mondo del Panettone (Panettone World Cup) in 2019.
He began instructing Pastry & Baking Arts at the Institute of Culinary Education's New York campus in 2020, where he works to prepare students for culinary careers. "I love to tell people something my father, Biagio Settepani, used to tell me while washing dishes at 8 years old: 'Turtle won the race,'" says Chef Joseph. "What I mean by this is that you must learn the building blocks before building a chocolate showpiece. Without proper technique and understanding of the process, you will never be able to achieve your goals.”
- Baking and Pastry Arts Associate's, Culinary Institute of America, 2012
- Executive Pastry Chef, Bruno Bakery & Restaurant, 2013 to present
- Pastry Chef Assistant, French Pastry School, 2013
- Pastry Chef Assistant, Emporio Rulli, 2011
Awards and Accolades
- Best Wedding Cake Designer in Staten Island, 2019
- Third place, Pastry Chef of the Year, 2016
- Second place, Live Global Baking Challenge, 2015
- First place and best chocolate showpiece, Société Culinaire Philanthropique Salon Culinaire, 2012-2013
- Third place, Food Network's "Sweet Genius," 2012