"As a chef you are always a mentor to your staff and I hope to be a great teacher and a solid mentor to all of my students."
Growing up on Long Island in an Italian family, Chef Frank Proto learned to love food at an early age. "In the fall our family would make dry sausages, tomato paste and wine," he says. This love of food led Chef Frank to Nassau Community College to study restaurant management, as well the Culinary Institute of America, where he studied culinary arts.
After graduation, Chef Frank worked for Drew Nieporent at Tribeca Grill and Chef Joe Fortunato at Layla, a Middle Eastern restaurant. It was while working with Joe that he met Marc Murphy, whom he worked with at La Forchette and eventually on the openings of Landmarc and Ditch Plains. Chef Frank ran culinary operations at three of Murphy’s Benchmarc restaurants, plus Benchmarc events. After leaving Landmarc, Chef Frank wanted to get back in the kitchen and went to work as an executive chef for Barcelona, a Connecticut-based tapas restaurant with outposts in Boston, D.C., Georgia and Tennessee.
Chef Frank started as the director of stewarding at the Institute of Culinary Education in November 2016 and became the director of culinary operations in 2019.
In the News
- NBC News: Best Kitchen Knives and How to Buy Them, According to Experts
- Epicurious: Soul-Satisfying Chicken Soup
- HuffPost: Deviled Eggs: How To Make Them And 5 Mistakes To Avoid
- Reader's Digest: What’s the Difference Between Pork Loin and Pork Tenderloin?
- The Strategist: How to Clean Wooden Cutting Boards, According to Experts
- Nassau Community College, Restaurant Management
- Culinary Institute of America, Culinary Arts
- Executive Chef, Barcelona Restaurant & Wine Bar, 2011-2016
- Corporate Executive Chef, Benchmarc Restaurants, 2004-2011
- Executive Chef, Myriad Restaurant Group, 2002-2004
Frank Proto on the Blog
- Chef Frank's Crab Chowder
- Chef Frank's Pork Shoulder Sausage Breakfast Sandwich
- Griddle Nachos with Carnitas and Avocado Crema
- Chef Frank's Gluten-Free Onion Rings
- Chef Frank's Lamb Hot Dogs from Scratch
- Soul-Satisfying Chicken Soup
- Chef Frank's Fettuccine Alfredo
- Three Keys to Creamy, Meaty Lasagna
- How to Chef-ify Spaghetti and Meatballs