“Use all your senses and understand the what, how and why, and then obsessively try to do better and learn more and more."
Chef Leicel Ros studied culinary arts and food service management at Johnson and Wales University, in addition to Pan-Asian cuisine in a study abroad program in Singapore and Thailand. She also worked as a senior culinary teaching assistant while in school in Charlotte, North Carolina.
In 2011, Chef Leicel became the chef de partie for Nobu Hospitality in Los Angeles before accepting a position as the chef de tournant at Fairmont Miramar the following year. She has experience as a chef de partie, management trainee, server, runner and reservationist for David Myers Group at Hinoki & the Bird, and was the assistant general manager and events manager at Simbal Restaurant from 2015 to 2017.
"Working at Nobu really instilled a disciplined mentality that 'your knife is an extension of your soul,'" says Chef Leicel. "Working with Chef Kuniko Yagi and David Myers at Hinoki & the Bird helped me really appreciate simple layered flavors that create a deep complexity when it comes to cooking."
She also was part of the opening team for Jean-Georges Beverly Hills at Waldorf Astoria Beverly Hills and promoted to sous chef after a month. "Working for Jean-Georges, I will carry the mentality to create flavors people will crave."
Chef Leicel began teaching Culinary Arts at ICE’s Los Angeles campus in September. "In the kitchens that I have worked in, I naturally always became the trainer to teach new hires," she says. "When the opportunity to work for ICE came to life, I was ecstatic to join the team of talented chefs."
- Sous Chef at Jean-Georges Beverly Hills at Waldorf Astoria, 2017-2018
- Assistant General Manager, Events Director and HR Administrator at Simbal Restaurant in Los Angeles, 2015-2017
- Chef de Partie, Management Trainee, Server, Expo/Runner and Reservationist at Hinoki & the Bird in Los Angeles, 2012-2015
- Chef de Tournant, Cook 1 at Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows in Santa Monica, California, 2012
- Chef de Partie at Nobu in Los Angeles, 2011-2012
Affiliations & Memberships
- Award-winning Culinary Competition Team for Johnson & Wales University, Charlotte Campus, 2011
- ServSafe Sanitation Certified Instructor and Exam Proctor, September 2014
- American Culinary Federation (ACF) Certified Culinarian, May 2010
- National Certification for Dining Room Associate (FDRP), December 2008
- ServSafe Manager Sanitation and Alcohol Certified, March 2008 to present
Specialities/Areas of Interest
- Japanese, Southeast Asian and Filipino cuisines
- Knife skills
- FOH and BOH management
- Bachelor of Applied Science, Food Service Management, Johnson & Wales University
- Associate of Applied Science, Culinary Arts, Johnson & Wales University
- Study Abroad Culinary Arts Program, At-Sunrice GlobalChef Academy in Singapore and Mandarin Oriental Cooking School in Chiang Mai, Thailand