ICE financial aid advisors help a student with paperwork

Financial Aid FAQs

You've Got Financial Aid Questions — We've Got Answers

la-main-menuDrupal\Core\Menu\MenuTreeParameters Object ( [root] => menu_link_content:c0815de7-c39e-42a1-84d2-c677ad7c1232 [minDepth] => 1 [maxDepth] => 6 [expandedParents] => Array ( ) [activeTrail] => Array ( [menu_link_content:6cec8e19-824b-4466-917d-fe10db2792ba] => menu_link_content:6cec8e19-824b-4466-917d-fe10db2792ba [menu_link_content:c0815de7-c39e-42a1-84d2-c677ad7c1232] => menu_link_content:c0815de7-c39e-42a1-84d2-c677ad7c1232 [menu_link_content:412d1c2b-1a2b-46f9-b60a-ea9b17757a74] => menu_link_content:412d1c2b-1a2b-46f9-b60a-ea9b17757a74 [] => ) [conditions] => Array ( ) )

Whether you're wondering about the nuts and bolts of applying for financial aid, other options for paying tuition, fees & charges or repaying your student loans, we can help.

Click through the categories below to get answers to all of your financial aid questions.

Still have questions? Feel free to contact one of our Financial Aid advisors at or (888) 826-CHEF.

Students wishing to apply for Federal Financial Aid need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by going online to using the school code: E40459.

Yes, students can sign their FAFSA electronically with their FSA ID (Federal Student Aid ID). You can create an FSA ID by going to

You will receive an immediate response once you submit your FAFSA indicating your FAFSA has been received. In approximately two to three weeks you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) with information for your ICE Financial Aid advisor.

No, our Financial Aid office will receive an electronic copy of your SAR.

Before making corrections to your FAFSA, please contact your ICE Financial Aid advisor.

If you are a dependent (under 24) student, your financial information and your parents’ financial information are used to determine eligibility. Certain aid is based partly on household income. Independent students only need to supply their income information.

Students can check on their Dependency status at the FAFSA website here.

If there are changes to your circumstances which may affect your eligibility, you may qualify for a special condition review. To submit for a review, you will need to contact the financial aid office directly. Read more here.

ICE offers federal grants, Stafford and PLUS loans. Please click here to find out more information.

Certain federal tax benefits may be available to you if you are paying educational costs for yourself or another student who is member of your immediate family in many instances. Students may be able to deduct qualified educational expenses paid during the year for themselves, their spouses or dependents. For more information, click here

A subsidized loan is a need-based loan. There is a six month grace period and the interest is paid by the government up until six months after you graduate, withdraw or stop attending. Unsubsidized loans are non-need based loans. There is also a six month grace period, but the interest is billed once the loan has been disbursed to your account. Any unpaid interest will be accrued and capitalized.

Federal loans do not require a co-signer. However, you may need a credit worthy co-signer to secure a private loan.

Yes, ICE does offer a payment plan which can be paid over an average of six months. Payment plans will include a finance charge but do not incur interest.

Yes, federal loans can be consolidated. You cannot consolidate private loans with federal loans.

Federal loans are paid upon completion of your program. Subsidized loans carry a six month grace period on both principal and interest. Unsubsidized loans carry a six month grace period on principal only. However, interest accrues from the date of disbursement of your loan.

The federal government offers two types of repayment/forgiveness programs for federal loans. The Income Based Repayment (IBR) helps borrowers keep their loan payments affordable based on income and family size. The Public Service Loan Forgiveness allows borrowers who work in certain kinds of jobs to have debt remaining after 10 years of eligible employment. Private loans do not qualify for these programs.

The Office of Student Financial Services is located at ICE’s Los Angeles campus at 521 East Green Street, Pasadena, CA 91101. Our Financial Aid advisors will be more than happy to assist you with the completion of your FAFSA and creating an FSA ID.

You can reach the Office of Student Financial Services at (888) 826-CHEF or

Although appointments are encouraged, the office will honor any walk-ins needing Financial Aid or financing assistance. You may visit the Office of Student Financial Services for the Los Angeles campus at 521 East Green Street, Pasadena, CA 91101 or call (888) 826-CHEF.