Content Director - Food Writer & Editor
Have an interest in the world of food, from top chefs and restaurants to the art and creativity of cooking?
Do you enjoy immersing yourself in all facets of the culinary world — the people, places, ingredients, culture, and the business and history of food? Are you passionate about journalism with a proven track record of managing a high-production vertical for a major publication?
The Institute of Culinary Education (ICE) is looking for a full-time Content Director to oversee the development and execution of all written copy for our unique content platform. You’ll develop editorial and promotional copy, including attention-grabbing headlines, and choose topics from among the thousands of events and happenings at ICE each year. You’ll work with dozens of contributors in the center of the food world to engage ICE’s broad audience.
Candidates must have a proven track record of success in food writing and journalism. They must be self-motivated, organized, process-driven and have a sharp attention to detail. Personally and professionally, the ideal candidate is actively immersed in the food industry and social media and has a constant eye on news and trends in the world of chefs and restaurants as well as content marketing. The candidate should be a leader who can work closely with the CMO and ICE’s marketing team to facilitate brand messaging for both traditional and digital/social media outlets telling the hundreds of stories that ICE has to offer each year.
Specific Job Responsibilities
- Oversee editorial direction for the ICE brand. This includes digital and traditional media, such as website, blog and social media, as well as offline communications. Responsibilities include planning and management of content plan, brainstorming and editing stories, managing a large roster of writers and editors, and ensuring consistent brand voice and quality content (AP Style) across all platforms.
- Serve as staff writer for ICE website and blog; covering student and staff stories and profiles, special guests at ICE, alumni interviews, food industry trends, external industry events, and ICE’s contribution to the food world.
- Oversee the ICE content calendar: Serve as primary copywriter and editor for all public-facing ICE communications (including digital and traditional marketing channels).
- Draft promotional copy and headlines for blog posts, emails, social media, videos and various other print and digital assets.
- Manage the Social Media Manager and work closely with the Public Relations Director to develop and execute a comprehensive content strategy across ICE’s content marketing platform.
Experience and Educational Requirements:
- Minimum of 5-7 years of editorial and content experience, with a demonstrated track record of success for reputable publications or relevant businesses.
- Experience writing in a variety of “voices” and platforms, from editorial to social to branded content to direct sales.
- Fast-adopter of CMS (Drupal experience preferred) and intricate knowledge of social media platforms.
- Experience writing for a variety of digital platforms a strong plus.
- Understanding of writing for SEO and syndication a strong plus.
- Degree in a related field or equivalent experience, job knowledge and success.
- Demonstrated interest in and passion for the world of food, chefs and restaurants.
Please email email@example.com the following three items with the subject: Content Director.
- Cover letter that must include your salary requirement
- Resume clearly demonstrating your professional skill set, experience and tangible results.
- Portfolio that showcases your published work, expression of a brand’s voice and original creative for a culinary, food, beverage or hospitality organization.
- Please do not apply directly through the job boards - we’d like you to apply directly. Auto-submissions through job boards will not be considered.
- Only applicants that meet the position’s requirements and provide the three above items will be considered.
- Please do not submit your resume if you do not live in commutable distance to the NYC area.
- We appreciate the interest, but phone or walk-in applications will not be accepted.
- Thank you, but no agency solicitations, please.
The Content Director will work with an outstanding management team and staff in an environment that supports and rewards creativity, performance, professional development and team involvement. We also have fun in the process!
The Institute of Culinary Education (ICE) is one of the largest and most diverse culinary schools in the world with campuses in New York and Los Angeles. Established in 1975, ICE offers award-winning six to 13-month career training programs in Culinary Arts, Pastry & Baking Arts, Health-Supportive Culinary Arts, Restaurant & Culinary Management, and Hospitality & Hotel Management, in addition to professional development in Artisan Bread Baking and The Art of Cake Decorating — with more than 14,000 alumni, many of whom are leaders in the industry. ICE also offers continuing education for culinary professionals, hosts 400 special events each year and is home to one of the world’s largest recreational cooking, baking and beverage programs with 26,000 students annually. ICE’s 74,000-square-foot, cutting-edge campus in New York City and its 38,000-square-foot Los Angeles campus were designed for inspiration, creativity and community. ICE continues to grow and evolve with the launch of its LA campus in 2018, the addition of the Natural Gourmet Center in 2019 and the agreement with the International Culinary Center in 2020. Visit us at ice.edu or join us on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and TikTok at @iceculinary to Find your culinary voice™.
The Institute of Culinary Education is an equal opportunity employer.