CURRICULUM, SCHEDULE AND TUITION
COURSE 1 – BUTTER CREAM PIPING (40 hours)
The course will instruct how to prepare several different types of buttercream as well as prepare all types of piped borders and flowers. Through repetition and practice the student will build their skills and develop confidence. Icing cakes, pressure control piping and learning food color applications are a few of the key elements to compliment butter cream use.
• Preparing and using Buttercream icings
• Pressure Control Piping, Cornet Preparation
• Basic Cake Borders - shells, star flowers, ballooning, zigzag, reverse shells, fleur-de-lis, garlands and rope
• Intermediate Buttercream Piping - grape clusters, sweet pea clusters, E shells, curved shells, shells with flutes, ruffles and swags, bows, basket weave
• Basic Floral Piping Skills - leaves, rose bud, half rose, full blown roses
COURSE 2 – ROYAL ICING, ROLLED FONDANT AND PASTILLAGE (60 hours)
This course will introduce students to all aspects of Royal Icing, from elementary flooding techniques, flowers and lace to advanced techniques such as brush embroidery and string work. The intricacies of the advanced techniques require precision, and steadiness, that students will develop with time and practice. Students will also be introduced to working with rolled fondant, and using it to cover a styrofoam cake and boards. They will also be introduced to different methods for preparing pastillage and use these to create plaques.
• Outlining and Flooding Techniques
• Royal Icing Flowers - Apple, Cherry and Peach Blossoms, Forget-Me-Nots, Primroses, Violets, Pansies, Sweet Peas, Daisies, Pussy Willows
• Royal Icing Pipe Work - Swiss dots, Cornelli Lace, Oval Borders
• Advanced Royal Icing Techniques - Brush Embroidery, Drop String Work, Basic Embroidery Piping, Basic Design Transfer Techniques, Australian String work Techniques, Oriental String Work, Fine Freehand Embroidery Skills, Introduction to Over-Pipe Techniques, Intricate Filigree Lace Designs
• Covering Styrofoam in Rolled Fondant; round, square or scalloped-shape
• Covering and finishing Board in Rolled Fondant
• Pastillage - Preparation of different types, Creating Plaques
This course will introduce students to the more advanced techniques of rolled fondant including ruffling, drapery and ribbons. Students will also learn a variety of different writing techniques and how to model using marzipan.
• Advanced Rolled Fondant – Ruffling, Classical and Freehand Drapery, Smocking, Crimping, Tassels, Ribbon Bouquet
• The Art of Writing – Alphabetic Practice utilizing Various Mediums, Greetings on Cakes, Greetings on Sugar plaques made out of Pastillage and Gumpaste
• Hand Modeling Marzipan Fruits and Vegetables
• Modeling chocolate roses and leaves
• Finishing upscale decorated cupcakes and cookies
COURSE 4 – SUGAR FLOWERS AND AIRBRUSHING (60 hours)
Students will learn all aspects of preparing and a wide assortment of sugar paste flowers. They will be introduced to the basic equipment needed, coloring techniques along with petal dusting and floral arrangement. Also in this course students will be introduced to airbrushing techniques for basic flower preparation and basic airbrush designs.
• Gum Paste Preparation
• Review of Tools and Flower Preparation Equipment
• Gumpaste Blossoms, Buds, Foliage
• Gumpaste flowers – Roses, Carnations, Closed Tulips, Azaleas, Daisies, Tiger Lilies, Hibiscus, Anthirium Lily and Arum Lily, Cymbidium Orchid, Gardenia
• Petal dusting, and airbrushing flowers
• Corsage, Bouquet, Spiral Design
• Floral Taping and Ribbon Work
• Airbrush Techniques
The final course of the program will focus on hand-sculpted cakes and at the conclusion of the course the students will participate in a 5-day workshop on novelty cake preparation, which will round out their skills as advanced cake decorators and allow them to utilize all of the elements and techniques learned throughout the course. The students will also begin their final project, creating a design and following through to completion. They will present a grand finale of stunning cakes and sugar artistry.
Each student will be responsible for four (4) projects:
• Three-tier cake (styrofoam) iced in Royal icing or rolled fondant and beautifully decorated in a classical or contemporary style
• Floral Spray (made up of a variety of sugar flowers)
• Pastillage card or plaque with a beautiful handwriting greeting
• Six Elegantly Decorated Cookies or Six Designed and Decorated Upscale Cupcakes
Start Date: 2/6
Schedule: 1-5pm, Mon-Fri
Duration: 240 hours over 12 weeks
Sallie Mae loans may be available to those who qualify.
Click here to download ICE's Career Training program book list (effective July 1, 2016).
Click here to download ICE's Career Training program book list (effective September 1, 2017).
For more information or to register, contact an Admissions Representative.