Find your cullinary voice


1) How do I apply for Financial Aid?
Students wishing to apply for Federal Financial Aid need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by going on-line to

2) Can I sign my FAFSA on-line once it’s completed?
Yes, students can sign their FAFSA electronically with a pin number. You can obtain a pin number by going to

3) What is the ICE federal school code?
Please contact your Financial Aid Advisor for details. The Office of Financial Aid can be reached at 888-921-2433 or

4) Once I have completed my FAFSA, how long will it take to get a response?
You will receive an immediate response once you submit your FAFSA indicating your FAFSA has been received. In approximately two to three weeks you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) with information for your ICE Financial Aid representative.

5) Do I need to submit my SAR to the Financial Aid office at ICE?
No, our Financial Aid office will receive an electronic copy of your SAR.

6) I need to change information on my FAFSA; how do I make corrections?
Before making corrections to your FAFSA, please contact your ICE Financial Aid Advisor.

7) Why are you requesting my parents tax information?
If you are a dependent student, your financial information and your parents’ financial information is used to determine eligibility. Certain aid is based partly on household income. Independent students need to only supply their income information.

8) How do I determine my dependency status?
Students can check on their Dependency status at the FAFSA website here.

9) Can my aid eligibility be reconsidered if I/my parents lose their job or our household circumstances change?
If there are changes to your circumstances occur which may affect your eligibility, you may qualify for a special condition review. To submit for a review, you will need to complete the Special Circumstance Form found on our website here. {link to form}

10) What other types of aid are available to me?
ICE offers federal grants, Stafford, and PLUS loans, as well as private loans. Please click here to find out more information.

11) Are there any tax benefits available to me?
Certain federal tax benefits may be available to you if you are paying educational costs for yourself or another student who is member of your immediate family in many instances. Students may be able to deduct qualified educational expenses paid during the year for themselves, their spouses, or dependants. For more information, click here

12) What is the difference between a subsidized/unsubsidized loan?
A subsidized loan is a need-based loan. There is a six month grace period and the interest is paid by the government up until six months after you graduate, withdraw or stop attending. Unsubsidized loans are non-need based loans. There is also a six month grace period, but the interest is billed once the loan has been disbursed to your account. Any unpaid interest will be accrued and capitalized.

13) Do I need a co-signer for my loans?
Federal loans do not require a co-signer. However, you may need a credit worthy co-signer to secure a private loan.

14) I don’t want a loan; are there other options for paying my balance/tuition?
Yes, ICE does offer a payment plan which can be paid over an average of six months with no interest.

15) Can I consolidate my loans?
Yes, federal loans can be consolidated. You cannot consolidate private loans with federal loans.

16) When do I repay my loans?
Federal loans are paid upon completion of your program. Subsidized loans carry a six month grace period on both principal and interest. Unsubsidized loans carry a six month grace period on principal only. However, interest accrues from the date of disbursement of your loan.

17) Are there any loan repayment forgiveness programs?
The federal government offers two types of repayment/forgiveness programs for federal loans. The Income Based Repayment (IBR) helps borrowers keep their loan payments affordable based on income and family size. The Public Service Loan Forgiveness allows borrowers who work in certain kinds of jobs to have debt remaining after 10 years of eligible employment. Private loans do not qualify for these programs.

18) From whom can I get assistance from with completing the FAFSA process?
The Financial Aid staff is located on the seventh floor of ICE’s main building and will be more than happy to assist you with the completion of your FAFSA and securing a PIN number.

19) How do I reach the financial aid staff?
You can reach the Department of Student Financial Services at:

20) Do I need an appointment to see a financial advisor?
Although appointments are encouraged, the office will honor any walk-ins needing Financial Aid or financing assistance. You may visit the Financial Aid office for the New York campus at 225 Liberty Street, 3rd Floor, New York, New York 10281 or call (888) 921-CHEF.