Part Time - Weekends and Evenings
The Institute of Culinary Education has an exciting opportunity to work in our Special Events Division. Our Chef Assistants represent the backbone of this division and you will be responsible for assisting our illustrious Chef Instructor(s) during our private culinary events. You will have an opportunity to aid in instructing guests on prep, cooking, and other miscellaneous techniques and tips. Once the demo portion of the event has been completed you will provide support in plating and be responsible for the breakdown of the culinary aspect of the event.
EVENTS & SERVICES OFFERED BY ICE’S SPECIAL EVENTS DEPARTMENT:
• Celebrity Chef Demonstrations
• Corporate Hands-on Cooking parties with the purposes of team-building, sales meetings, client entertaining or celebration events. Personal Hands-on Cooking parties for couples/ families for personal celebrations.
• Meetings & conferences, whereas a culinary setting is useful or desired (examples include a KitchenAid sales meeting and World Science Festival food seminar)
SPECIFIC JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Assist and lead guests in the preparation and cooking of a specific menu as per chosen by the group, for groups up to 90 people.
• Provide room set up for each private event including equipment, place settings, knives, cutting boards, etc…
• Answer guest questions regarding equipment use, food preparation and cooking techniques.
• Follow instruction regarding obtaining the pulls from Stewarding.
• Continually maintain the cleanliness and organization of the kitchen and/or classroom.
• Perform other duties as assigned by Manager or Chef Instructor.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
• Candidates must have 1 – 2 years as a line cook in a restaurant.
• Must possess a strong sense of urgency and attention to detail
• Strong communication skills required.
• Flexible schedule (weekends and evenings)
• Ability to bend and lift 40 – 60 pounds.
• High school diploma or GED required; culinary degree or certification preferred.
• Front of the house or hospitality experience preferred.
• Plating, knife and culinary skills are preferred.
• Demonstrated ability to interact in a collaborative manner with other departments and guests.
• Proven ability to work independently at times and within a team.
Forward resume to email@example.com, in the subject line please include ‘Attention Chef Assistant’
No Phone or Walk-In Applications will be accepted.
ABOUT THE INSTITUTE OF CULINARY EDUCATION:
The Institute of Culinary Education (ICE) is one of the largest and most diverse culinary schools in the world. Established in 1975, ICE offers award-winning six to 13-month career training programs in Culinary Arts, Pastry & Baking Arts, Restaurant & Culinary Management, Hospitality Management, Bread Baking and Cake Decorating – with more than 13,000 successful alumni, many of whom are leaders in the industry. ICE also offers continuing education for culinary professionals, hosts more than 500 special events each year and is home to one of the world's largest recreational cooking, baking and wine programs with more than 26,000 students annually. In 2015, marking the school's 40th anniversary, ICE moved to a new, modern 74,000-square-foot facility at Brookfield Place in downtown Manhattan, designed for inspiration, creativity and community. Visit us at ice.edu or join us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter @iceculinary to find your culinary voice™